2. DMR EASTERN
DMR EASTERN REGIONChairman: Gillian Curran
Secretary: JP Durcan
It is bordered to the east by the Irish Sea, to the north by Dublin City, to the west by the Dublin Mountains and to the south by County Wicklow. The region has a population of around 206,500.
The name Rathdown is an Anglicisation of the Irish "Ráth an Dúin", meaning "ringfort of the fort". Dún Laoghaire, means "Laoghaire's fort" after King Lóegaire mac Néill the High King of Ireland in the fifth century, who resided in the area.
The Region includes the towns of Dun Laoghaire, Dundrum and Stillorgan with many prominent villages including Dalkey, Foxrock Rathfarnham Stepaside and Ticknock. The Region is very well served by public transport with the DART and suburban rail along the coast and the LUAS tram from Dublin city out to Cherrywood.
Dún LaoghaireDún Laoghaire is a about seven miles (11km) south of the capital Dublin. Its focal point is a splendid harbour and the town is surrounded by spectacular rolling hills. There are lots to do and a wide range of top quality accommodation, services and amenities on the doorstep. Its easy access to Dublin city and transport links nationwide makes it an ideal place to begin or end your journey through the Ireland.
Historically Dún Laoghaire has always been a 'Gateway to Ireland'; Dún Laoghaire gets its name from the Irish translation Fort (Dún) of Laoghaire. It was once the seat of King Laoghaire, the ancient High King of Ireland before the Vikings sailed from Scandinavia and established themselves in Dublin.
When the English later arrived in the late 11th century, they renamed the town Dunlary (Dunleary) to suit the English tongue. In 1821 it was renamed Kingstown by King George IV of England to honour his visit to the town that year.
It remained Kingstown through Victorian times until in 1921, one year before the Irish won their independence from Britain, when the town council voted to change the name back to the ancient Irish name Dún Laoghaire. The person most responsible for this was the Irish martyr Patrick Moran, who was commemorated with the naming of Moran Park in the town.
The town is also home to the National Maritime Museum which is well worth a visit; look out for the Marconi Radio which was donated to the Museum by IPA Ireland.
One of the earliest mentions of the area concerns the location of the original St. Nahi's Church in the 8th century on which site today's 18th-century church currently stands. The ancient name for Dundrum is "Taney" which derives from Tigh Naithimeaning the house or place of Nath Í.
Recent archeological excavations near the church have revealed three enclosures associated with the church, the earliest dating from the 6th century, and a significant find was an almost complete Flemish Redware jug from the 13th century.
When the Normans arrived in 1169, a series of fortifications were built around Dublin. A castle was built in Dundrum as part of this series of outer fortifications around the 13th century. Later in 1590, a newer castle was built by Richard Fitzwilliam as part of a strategic line of castles within the Pale. The original village clustered around Dundrum Castle and was considered a rural defensive outpost against assaults and raids from Irish tribes and families such as the O'Tooles and the O'Byrnes.
In 1971, Dundrum was one of the earliest places in Ireland to open a purpose-built shopping centre (the first being in Stillorgan). A much bigger shopping centre opened just south of Dundrum on 3 March 2005. Known as Dundrum Town Centre it contains within the complex one of the largest cinemas in Ireland, opened in early October 2005.